Laptops access internet via encrypted Wi-Fi
Wireless encryption provides a high level of assurance that only authorized users can access the network.
UNL students, faculty and staff will now receive added security assurance by connecting to an encrypted wireless network while on campus. Computers are subject to numerous security threats when connecting to a network wirelessly over a radio signal. An encrypted wireless network encodes the radio signal, safeguarding against unauthorized third-party monitoring or intervention.
Information Services Networking has deployed the infrastructure and made the changes necessary to roll out wireless encryption for our campus wireless laptop users.
To make the change to wireless a user would need to be attached to SSID: UNL-AIR and then bring up a browser. Web to the following link:
- Accept the license terms and select Start.
- The process is automated and should take approximately 20 to 30 seconds.
- Once completed you will receive a migration to encrypted wireless was successful message and you will be automatically migrated to the encrypted SSID UNL-AIR-E.
- All future use of the computer will use the encrypted session.
- Occasionally some security products on your laptop will ask for authorization to run the routine. If this pops up than allow the process to run.
For additional questions, please contact the Computer Help Center
Phone: 472-3970 or toll-free (866) 472-3970
The support is in place for the following devices to use wireless encryption:
- Windows XP SP2+, Vista, 7
- Mac OS 10.4, 10.5, 10.6
- Ubuntu 9.04, 9.10, 10.04