About Information Services
Information Services (IS) offers a broad range of services designed to meet the computing, communications, and networking needs of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL) faculty, staff and students. IS provides:
- products and services for the coordination of voice, video and data technologies;
- support for the integration of multimedia into the curriculum; and
- a single information technology support group for UNL — coordinating and supporting the needs of Teaching, Research, Outreach, and Administration.
IS was formed in 1995 and was first headed by Kent Hendrickson, Associate Vice-Chancellor until February, 2008.
Mark Askren, CIO
Within the UNL structure, Information Services reports to the Office of the Chancellor.
Information Services Units
Client Services, David DeFruiter, Director
Provides customer-facing technology services to the campus (ie: Enterprise Desktop Services) as well as client support through the Computer Help Center.
Communications and Operations, Michael Ruhrdanz, Director
Provides UNL and its state-wide interests with an advanced, reliable, high-performance network; provides Internet services; datacenter and operations center functions, security services and serves the telecommunications needs of the university.
Enterprise Information Solutions, Pam Holley-Wilcox, Interim Director
Provides support for student financial aid records, class registrations, student records, and other UNL applications by managing campus-wide data integrity efforts, providing project management services, and coordinating the information technology architecture. Also oversees development within Internet & Interactive Media, jointly operated by IS and University Communications.
Information Technology Support, Pam Holley-Wilcox, Director
Assists individuals using information technology as a tool for teaching, learning, research and outreach by providing user support, training and consulting services, as well as sales and management of desktop computing resources.
Responsible for operating systems and server support, as well as email gateways. Also provides support for distributed physical data management for backup/restore, and archives.Data Analytics, Karen Gatherer, Director
Provides actionable intelligence for strategic decision making and tactical operations, along with multi user-level training programs for executive leadership, faculty, administrative professionals, and other knowledge workers. We develop and promote innovative approaches for the use of strategic decision data throughout all levels of the university, working closely with academic subject matter experts, business leaders, and information technology groups to ensure that solutions are well planned and executed timely.
The following is a partial list of services maintained and supported by IS. For a more complete list of services for network and telephone connections; research computing; user support and training; hardware and software purchases; etc. please see the faculty or Students resources pages.
- MyRed: databases providing students online access to information regarding admissions, registration, records, financial aid, and their accounts.
- MyUNL (Blackboard): serves as the Academic Portal for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. This service is funded by the UNL Student Technology Fee. (NOTE: link opens in new window)
- New Media Center Faculty Development Lab: provides equipment and consulting for working with multimedia.
- Office 365; provides UNL's primary e-mail service and a collaborative groupware experience.
- Polycom: a multi-point videoconferencing system that is capable of establishing a multi- point videoconference between up to 24 IP videoconference endpoints.
- Internet2: UNL is a founding member of the University Corporation for Advanced Internet Development (UCAID) which is responsible for Internet2. UNL is also a part of the Internet2's K20 Initiative which allows all educational institutions in Nebraska to utilize the benefits of Internet2.
Administration Contact Information
Telephone: (402) 472-2311
FAX: (402) 472-5280
Mail: 413 Love Library, Lincoln, NE 68583-0496